Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pick your jaws up off the floor already...

...yes, this is an actual blog update. I got so much flak for not posting, I broke down and and here I am, typing up a blog. This is a good thing.

A few weeks ago I got more fish for the 55 g. They all get along, although one (of the five) black skirt tetras got a bite taken out of one of his fins by Adam (the Bicher fish - named after my brother who gifted it to me). The fin has almost grown back; no harm, no foul. The blue Australian rainbow is, uh, blue - and the new severum, named Steve (for one of my friends), is one boss fish.


Over the the past couple of weeks I've read Pablo Neruda's Twenty Love Poems and A Song of Despair; Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five; Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet; currently, I'm reading Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front. It's been... satisfying; I've been severly anemic for all these things.

I've watched Flight of the Conchords, too; the second sleeve was basically knit while I laughed my arse off - not a bad way to get it done. There were a few dropped stitches involved, but they were worth it. The Bowie episode - brilliant, spot on.

Yeah, yeah, we are now to the part which concerns knitting: I've got the body, and the sleeves for the Cobblestone done! Which puts me in the lead (Jane, who had her Cobblestone practically finished, decided to frog the body and redo it; this blow to her almost unassailable lead has made things a lot more interesting. Cindy's taking bets on this, I just know it).

Below ya can see where I was on 2.26.08 - I was making the most of the time on a lunch break at Arbies (not shown in picture: a large Diet Dr. Pepper).


A month later, I've got some sleeves done.


The goal this week is to get the sleeves even, put everything on waste yarn, try it on, adjust if necessary, get it all back on needles, and soldier on...


In other news, I've purchased this sweet little number. A steel frame, but I can curl it with one arm.


I haven't had a bike of my own since... uh, puberty. I gotta admit, Louisville drivers worried me before, but now, well, I needed more adrenaline in my life anyhow.

I ride the hell out of it, to all kinds of places: to the pet store to get Mad Max a new coconut hut; to the Knit Nook to hang with the Comrades in Yarn; to Wild and Wooly; to the gym; heck, last week I was riding home from returning a video at Red Giraffe (yes, Kristin, at least two still exist - but it seems only in Louisville!), when I came across a Latino couple (no habla English) driving down the one-way street I live on in the wrong direction, with a sick baby in the back seat, and they were looking for Kosair's Childrens Hospital. Learning Spanish in five minutes didn't seem feasible, so I had them follow me there. It was the right thing to do.

Mensch, it's late, I need sleep - g'night.



Mad Max and his new coconut hut.

1 comment:

Wolfgang said...

How sweet (leading the Spanish-speaking people to Kosair!)

Your Cobblestone is looking great!